• Welcome to our blog

Our shared values in Y5: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do/say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

In 5V we like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it. - Pie Corbett

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• What’s new

Note for Parents on the Parents Page

Image:victoriaspast

Read something every day!

• Thank you for visiting, we will enjoy a message from you

• We do like to learn!

Rivers- Geography Topic
    The Titanic - 2012 - 100 years!

• Be awesome!

Queen Victoria: Reigned: 1837-1901 [63 years and 7 months]

What a FUN day!

SONY DSC

Everybody was helping! Fantastic team work was seen from all the groups.

In Y5 we had a FABULOUS day – on Friday, 12th July. We made our own trebuchets and at the end we tested it. We also learnt a bit of the history of the trebuchet. It was SO MUCH fun and we all loved it.

SONY DSC
Learning a new skill on the paper rollers that turn 3 sheets of newspaper into a strong, sturdy stick!
SONY DSC
Look! This is how: First you roll your paper very lightly, then you press down on the frame and turn the handle, whilst pressing down – for about 20 seconds.

SONY DSC
The cable tie tensioner – a new tool we all learnt how to use it!
SONY DSC
We feel so proud, we made this ourselves! Our sticks were neat and tidy, which gave us a ‘gold’ for the making process!
SONY DSC
Testing time – can you spot the ball? Wow!

SONY DSC

Chandan, Bhavkirat and Jasmine – from 5K, who missed their FUN day on Wednesday. Chandan’s comments:This was the BEST project EVER in my whole school career,  I LOVE DT and love designing and making things.’ They also scored a ‘gold‘ for neat, tidy and strong paper sticks.

SONY DSC

In our groups we had a sheet stuck on our work space with the safety rules and instructions, so whenever we got stuck, we could refer back to it for some help! 

Quotes from Y5’s about the Trebuchet project:

Anaya: It improved my DT skills.  SimranjitD: The safety rules helped me to know how to stay safe and what would happen if I get a cable tie around my finger! Jatinder: It was a brilliant project for working in teams and how to use new equipment and we should do this every year with Y5. Manjot: It involved all subject skills. Shivam: Great team work, everybody had a part to do and there were easier and harder parts to do. We were all very actively busy all the time.  Aviraj S: It was fantastic, I learnt a lot. Avneet: I liked the team work and to support my friends in doing something together. Chandan: It was mind-boggling!  I learnt about new equipment and how to use it, in particular the cable tie tensioner and the paper roller. I was also ‘shocked’ to see how far the ball could travel with a trebuchet made of paper! It was an amazing and fascinating project! We also discovered: The heavier the weight, the further the ball travelled! Bhavkirat: It involved so many subjects, new equipment and it looks pretty cool! AvirajB: It’s a great structure to make and I’m so pleased that Mr V came to do this with us. I also learnt about symmetry! One side helped you to know how to complete the other side! Gursimran: Everybody participated in something and I even learnt about the history of the trebuchet and it involved a lot of maths and more I improved my DT skills. Gurjoth: The rolling of the sticks was great fun and I enjoyed using the cable ties for the first time. Parampreet: It was a challenging project and I liked the cable tensioners. Sukhman: It was an amazing and very exciting project. Ms B [our TA]: It was fantastic to see how they worked in groups and even how some started to support their friends in other groups. Everybody agreed: It was mind-boggling, everybody was engaged, enjoyable, cool, creative project, exciting, something from the past, amazing, impressive, etc. Mr V: Next time you can measure the height of the ball as well. In historical times these trebuchets were used from inside the castle walls and those walls were quite high. 

SONY DSC

‘Listen to me, I know how this paper roller works, you need to keep your hands safely away from the gears, yes, like this…’

SONY DSC

SONY DSC
‘…. and this is how… you pull the ball back, with the weight in place…and … 1, 2, 3 let go!’

SONY DSC

‘BEST fun ever’

Copyright ©      Provided by PrimaryBlogger    Designed by WPDesigner    Hosted by PrimaryBlogger