• Welcome to our blog

Our shared values in Y5: To care for myself and others by making sure we are all safe and happy. To be honest in all we do/say. We always work hard and try our best. We listen carefully and thoroughly. We make sure we are always giving our best, so everyone else can be the best that they can be. We look after our property.
    We like to be 'leaders' and not 'followers' We always choose the 'good' light inside of us. We make the right choices at the right time.

Anyone can train hard for a short period. Winners give their best every hour of every day for months on end.

In 5V we like to stop and think - before we do or speak.

'Give children a thought and they’ll learn for a day. Teach them to think and they’ll learn for a lifetime.’David Hyerle
    If you can imagine it, you can achieve it; if you can dream it, you can become it.- William Arthur Ward
    You cannot write it, if you cannot say it; you cannot say it, if you haven't heard it. - Pie Corbett

We love to share our way of thinking, it does help us in our learning!

• What’s new

Note for Parents on the Parents Page

Image:victoriaspast

Read something every day!

• Thank you for visiting, we will enjoy a message from you

• We do like to learn!

Rivers- Geography Topic
    The Titanic - 2012 - 100 years!

• Be awesome!

Queen Victoria: Reigned: 1837-1901 [63 years and 7 months]

Parents

Update: 22/7/2013

Dear Parents

I would like to thank you today for 3 things:

1. Thank you for the contributions to the cup cakes last week. It helped a lot to support the charity we support by selling it at the Summer Mela.

2. Thank you for the party ‘stuff’ today – for our class party. Like always, we could count on you.

3. Thank you for being FANTASTIC Parents throughout the year. It’s been WONDERFUL to work with Parents like you, being very supportive in everything and your child’s progress as well.

I wish you the very best for the future with your child and hope they will exceed all your expectations – by hard work and studies. It would be great to drop by on the blog – as time goes on – to let me know how they are doing in their future school career.

Thank you

Mrs Vxx 

Dear Parents

Update: 8/6/2013

About our trip of yesterday to Bletchley Park.

Thank you to all Parents for paying for your child to go on this WONDERFUL trip. We all enjoyed it and we had a  wonderful time during our lunch break – with the lovely weather. Please see the entry with some photos. I hope you will find some time to go back with your child – and the rest of the family to visit the rest of Bletchley Park. We haven’t even covered nearly 1/4 of what is available. The place has a rich history and it’s a must-visit with wonderful spaces for a lovely picnic. 

Kind Regards

Mrs V

Dear Parents

18/5/2013

Our Assembly: Firstly I would like to thank you for many Parents who took time out to come and enjoy our WW2-Assembly. It was fantastic to see so many Y5 Parents attending and sharing the joy, excitement  and our children’s success with us.

Thank you to your child. They all worked VERY hard. They knew their lines/moves and roles. Whatever part of the bigger puzzle they had, they did it BRILLIANTLY! You can be VERY proud of your child. The effect I wanted to create was ONLY possible with them co-operating and taking part with a positive attitude. It was HARD work for all of us, but it was WORTH it. Please thank your child and praise them for doing their ‘bit’, however small it was. We all worked and built on a puzzle and all the pieces fit in perfectly! I am VERY proud of our Y5’s. I wanted the BEST for them and they’ve been THE BEST!  THANK YOU! Mrs Vanxxx

Summer 1 – update

Dear Parents

We have a lovely trip coming up booked for Friday 7th June – we will be visiting Bletchley Park and our curriculum link is WW2. We will appreciate your contribution of £11 and children will need a packed lunch for the day. Please return the reply slips as soon as possible.

Our year group Assembly: Rescheduled and now: Friday 17th May at 14:35.

Thank you for your kind support.

Spring update March 2013: Parents Evening – week commencing 18th March

Dear Parents and Carers

Parents who need translators: Please make an appointment on the day only for Parents who need translators. Parents who need translators will not have their appointment with other Parents. We have in our class about 4 Parents who will have to need an appointment on a different day. Thank you for your understanding.

The Appointment list will go up outside our classroom on Monday 11th March for appointments on Tuesday 19th March and Friday 22nd March. Appointments will only be a 5 minute appointment and Parents who need a longer appointment will need to make a second appointment for a different day. You will also be notified via your child if you need a longer appointment, so we can arrange another day, other than the two days given. [That means that you will not need to come on these two days as well. You will get a note from your child about the ‘longer’ appointment. Thank you for your understanding.

Update: 18/3/2013

Appointments: Tuesday 19/3/2013
3:40 Harshaan
3:50 Harveen S
3:55 Harveen D
4:00 Komal
4:10 Simranjit B
4:30 Navkiran
4:50 Sukhman
5:00 Priya
5:30 Gurjoth

Thursday 21/3/2013
5:10 Balraj

Friday 22/3/2013
3:40 Taljot
3:45 Kuljit
3:50 Harnoor
3:55 Jeevan
4:00 Keerat
4:05 Jiovanni
4:10 Ruben
4:15 Anaya
5:00 Amrit

Wednesday 27th March 2013
3:45 Aviraj S
4:00 Krish
4:15 Manjot
4:45 Parampreet

I do look forward to seeing you

Kind Regards

Mrs V

Autumn Term

Dear Parents and Carers 

Parents Evening[s] update

Thank you for wonderful Parents. It is GREAT to have fantastic Parents – like you – in our community. I have met Parents that really care about their children and their progress. All Parents have now a ‘report’ about their child’s levels and Targets. Parents also know that their children are expected to do well and to learn to the best of their ability. As and when necessary, low-level issues are being dealt with in a positive way, so all children can benefit and be allowed to learn in a positive environment. All our Y5’s want to do really well and put in a lot of effort from their side to make good progress. They are well-motivated and they are determined to learn. So… no one can stop them! Some have decided to leave Y5 with a level 5B ! Wow, that is fantastic! So, hard work and determination…will pay off!

Children do have now an interactive link on Spelling City to practise their spellings online. Please allow them do practise it, there is a certificate they can print off too – if they do well. – please see the note on the homework page with the spelling link too.

Their sentences: ANY ten words, in good quality writing, using Alan Peat type of sentences.

READING – Level 4C and above – 1x per week collect a signature from your Parent in your reading record book.

Level 3B and 3A readers: – collect 3x per week a signature for reading in your reading record book

All other levels – 4 signatures per week for reading in your reading record book.

Thank you very much!

Mrs V

For the week ending 16/11 – the following children didn’t bring their reading books into school in order to get it changed: Keerat, Harnoor, Kuljit, Ruben, Balraj and Avneet. Half of  the class didn’t read to Parents the past week, which is sad news. I also do apologise [note in their books too] for not having homework marked, it was a rough week with two PE’s ending up very late, but their work will get marked next week.

Future Parents Evenings: Parents who need translators: Appointments will be made on a different day, other than the normal Parents Evening night. Thank you for the patience you had with us with our Parents who needed translators.

For birthdays – please remember that we are a healthy school and we can not accept any sweets/chocolates/cakes/crisps/etc. for the class to celebrate a birthday. It must be something healthy, e.g. fruit. Thank you for your understanding.

Tuesday 13/11 update:

Parents’ appointments for Wednesday and Thursday

Wednesday

Kuljit – 3:40
Harshaan – 3:50
Anaya – 4:00
Harnoor – 4:10
Aviraj S – 4:20
Gurjoth – 4:30
Navkiran – 4:50
Komal – 5:00
Jeevan – 5:10
Parampreet – 5:20
Shivam – 5:30
Jiovanni’s Dad – 5:40
Amrit – 5:50

THURSDAY

Simranjit B – 3:40
Taljot – 3:50
Jiovanni’s Mum – 4:00
Simranjit K – 4:10
Sukhman – 4:20
Balraj – 4:30
Harveen S – 4:40
Harveen D -4:50
Kiran – 5:00
Krish – 5:10
Gursimran – 5:30
Avneet – 5:40
Priya – 5:50

Update: November 2012

Parents Evening – Wednesday 14th Nov and Thursday 15th Nov

I do look forward to meeting you all in person this week. Please read the messages in your child’s yellow Reading Record book. Children need to read to Parents – the more the better! Level 4 C  [and above]-readers – at least 1x per week and we need one signature in the Reading Record book, if more, that’s even better! Level 3A and 3B = three times per week – collecting 3 separate signatures. All other readers – four times per week, collecting four separate signatures. Thank you for your co-operation and understanding. Mrs V

New Menu for our children during lunch times- see the document.

[gview file=”http://y5cvr.primaryblogger.co.uk/files/2012/07/New-Menu.pdf” target=”_blank”]

Dear Parents of Y5

Firstly, I would like to ‘Welcome’ you to Year 5 and hope you will have a positive experience in Y5 – to you as Parent, but first and foremost, to your child. Your child takes priority in Y5V and therefore, it would be expected that you, as Parent, should support the school at home in your child’s learning, in order for your child to make really good progress.

It is fantastic to get letters from children by the end of the year, knowing what’s been written in those letters/cards, comes from the bottom of their hearts. Messages like: ‘You always made me want to learn!’ [Trishna and Sharon] As a teacher, you also know that children can only give you notes like those, if you put every effort in to make the learning experience a positive experience for them.

For any teacher to be able to do it, you need Parents! Parents are working together with the Teacher and these letters are therefore also ‘addressed’ to Parents. The school can not function without the Partnership of the Parent.

To start our Partnership, I would like to ask you the following:

1. Your child needs to do her/his homework on a weekly basis. Homework goes out once per week and children have a fixed day to return their homework, which is Tuesdays. Please sign your child’s homework as a sign that you’ve checked it and that you are happy with it.

2. Your child needs to read 3x per week from his/her stage book and the Reading Record book needs to be signed. It will be helpful if you can leave a very short comment about your child’s reading, e.g. Ruben read fluently, but struggled with ‘hippopotamus’.

3. Please ensure your child is at school every single day! It is crucial for your child to learn and be at school in order to know what we are doing and make good progress throughout the year. Traffic can sometimes be a nightmare, but please make sure that your child arrives on time for a good start of the day.

4. Your child also needs a good night sleep! Children in Y5 should get at least a good sleep of about 9 hours.

5. With a good night’s sleep, goes a good balanced breakfast. For your child to concentrate in class and to be able to pay good attention, it is important to have that balanced breakfast.

Thank you for your support. More will be added to this. Please feel free to make an appointment for any Wednesday/Thursday after school. Friday afternoon is my club-afternoon, other days are meeting-days. Thank you for your understanding.

14 Responses to “Parents”

1. Your Welcome

2. Hi Navii, Thank you very much. I appreciate your comments, Navii. 🙂

3. Mrs V you deserve the message from amrit’s elder sister. What ever she said is the complete truth!!!!

4. Dear Harnoor’s Mum
    They certainly work really hard and do take my advice when it involves their learning. I’m really proud of what they have achieved so far. I do look forward to more fantastic work coming from them. Thank you for taking time to leave a comment on the blog, it is always GREAT to have Parents commenting and I would love more Parents to interact via the blog. 🙂

5. To miss V,
    I am glad she is hardworking and the rest of year 5 are fantastic children! I hope they pass their 11+!

6. Dear Harnoor’s Mum!
    Oh, this is such a SWEET comment from YOU! Harnoor is a sweet good-listener and hardworking girl. You don’t have to worry about her, she can’t misbehave. I wonder if she knows how to spell it? 🙂 Y5’s are ALL fantastic children. I do enjoy them, they are a great age to teach, still willing to learn and still willing to do well. Thank you for the compliment about the ICT skills. 🙂 Hopefully they will be little experts too, before they go on to Y6 – well, that’s what I’m going to try with them – and some will be, only if they allow me to do all the ‘wonderful’ things with them. 🙂 Thank you again for your very kind and special comment!

7. Dear Ms V,
    I am Harnoor’s mum and i would like to say that Harnoor enjoys school very much and she likes her teacher a lot, YOU!! Even I think you are the most wonderfull teacher she’s had – in my opinion and she always tells me about your ICT skills! When she doesn’t know a question she always will ask you and I will make sure too! I hope she does not misbehave in class, therefore listens to the teacher’s instuctions.
    please tell me if she misbehaves in class!
    From,

Harnoors mum.

8. yes please, I like arts and craft.

9. On Christmas can we do something crafty or make models of a snow man.

10. i even think im super intelligent

11. my parents think i am super intelligent

12. okay
    paraent

13. Dear Kalbir

Your comments really left me humble. I really don’t know how to reply/respond to your wonderful comments. Teaching is my passion and that’s what I try to do, to get children to enjoy learning [school] and that’s what is important to me. You truly have me speechless – your kind comments are worth more than gold. Getting a comment like this, is what makes it all worth, knowing you are doing it all for the children, and them only. Your kind comment is really already the reward! Thank you so much. This motivates me, even more for the wonderful children sitting daily in front of me. Their learning [and enjoyment] takes priority in all I do. Have a wonderful evening. [Thank you for the chocolates too!]

14. Dear Mrs Van,

I am Amrit’s elder sister, I wanted to say a big thank you for taking out so much of your time to interact with your students, and make school and learning a fun an enjoyable experience. You should certainly be rewarded for your efforts. I am sure that many others will agree that you are not only a unique teacher but an amazing individual! I am very happy to be hearing positive comments daily from Amrit about how he is enjoying being taught by you and also finally enjoying learning!! It is all due to your very hard work and encouragement! Thank you very much!

Kindest regards,

Kalbir Kaur